View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 949 Likes on 754 Posts
Originally Posted by pfogle
You're talking about apples and oranges here. His stock 300 with over 300k on it will never see 400 ft/lbs of torque. The higher torque/hp of your built 351w makes the transmission hunt less because the engine doesn't have to work as hard to go down the road. After all the main reason the transmission will hunt is throttle pressure. The more gas you give it the more RPMS the engine turns, the kickdown/TV cable moves and BANG! you downshift and the rpms come up to increase the hp/tq. With a built up engine it takes LESS THROTTLE PRESSURE and less RPM to do the same work.
The AODs work a little differently in that regard, they upshift fairly early depending how much preload is on the TV cable and it takes a lot of throttle input(you pretty much have to floor it) to provoke downshifts. I won't disagree with the idea that a higher output motor produces less shifting, that's part of the reason I got 17-18mpg out of this thing with the 5.8 on the highway... once it got into OD it rarely droped out and was pretty impressive at climbing hills in OD too. The comment about the TQ output of my 5.8 was aimed more towards those that say the AOD is too weak, I don't see a healthy copy having any problem with a stock or lightly modified 4.9 or 5.0 in typical truck applications, because short of putting a blower on it those engines will never make that kind of TQ.