Old 08-18-2012, 09:48 PM
tomshelby
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PATS, dead odometer and scanner not connecting

I have done alot of searching and reading about the PATS sytem and the blanked odometer.
Ill start with some useful info on my project. I stripped a 2000 lightning and have installed the complete running gear, electronics and wiring into a 56 f100 (pics at shelbycars.blogspot.com ).

The project has been on stand-by for about 4 years until I started working on it again about a month ago. Ive spent the last few weeks installing the harness, electronics etc. Finally friday I installed a battery and turned the key to see what would happen.
first, I noticed the odometer showed "-------". I have read the threads about the blank odometer so I will repair that monday when I get to the shop.
second, the security light was flashing and would not engage the starter. (I do have the coded key and transceiver ring in the system from the donor)
third, I tried for several minutes to connect my innova scanner and it would not link to the vehicle. Finally it linked and I noticed that the odometer was working. Before I was able to pull the codes I lost the connection.

My questions are
1 Does the odometer connection affect the scanner? or just coincidence?
2 Does the odometer connection affect the PATS?
3 Does the key, inst cluster have to be re-programmed due to being disconnected for 4 yrs?
4 Does the transceiver ring have to be programed to the system? I assume it just passes the info to the cluster and woud not need programming

I know that the instrument cluster is a key part of PATS system but not sure about the scanner comm port.

Im not looking for opinions or guesses or "I would think's." Only experienced individuals who have a very good understanding of the systems.

I appologize for my spelling, missing letters and extra letters. Smashed my finger and typing sucks with a huge bandage