View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 PM
temperoath
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstroke 6.0L Low power until warm

I know this question has been asked/answered before, but after searching I found that most folks have the "low power until warm" accompanies by other issues that I don't have, so I still scratch my head. It seems like possible injection stiction as described in other threads

2004 Ford F250 6.0L (recently purchased)

Problem: Low power until warm... 5 minutes or so. For those 5 or so minutes, the truck seems lazy. I can press the accelerator to the floor and he feels sluggish.

Notes:
-
- Truck starts fine when cold (but it is summer time, so its not THAT cold) Doesn't feel like its missing or stuttering at all.
- No smoke that I've seen
- Recently changed oil (15-40) with motorcraft filter. I plan on switching to Rotella T6 5-40 next oil change. Added pro-long and it help at bit...will try revx next time, or can I go ahead and add that too?
- Changed fuel filters (motorcraft)
- FICM voltage about 48.5 in all tests
- Don't have gauges yet
- Havent had a chance to check fuel pressure yet
- no codes according to my cheapo obd scanner.

I've also read that I should let it warm up for a while after cold starting, but how long should be enough. I dont feel like I should have to sit in my driveway for 10 minutes just because the truck doesn't want to get out of bed! Maybe I got spoiled because of the last cummins I owned.

The sluggishness sounds like injector stiction.

If I can add revx now, I will. Otherwise Ill wait till the next oil change and see if that helps. I've heard its good stuff, but is it just a band-aid? Or does the revx help remove the varnish on the spool valve? Would I just be buying time until the injectors possibly fail?

Where else should I be looking? Its annoying.

Thanks for the help!