View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 AM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by butch50
Well I got it figured out. I got a few minutes to run out to the truck and I disconnected the external antenna and plugged in the factory antenna that comes from the roof and guess what, my Nav is working again. So both Sirrius and GPS appear to use the same antenna.

Now I know how it works but this is not going to help me getting my Sirius and Nav working with the camper on the truck. I don''t know if I'm going to find a way to make it work, I may have to be without one or the other while the camper is on the truck.

So do you folks have any suggestions what I can do to make this silly thing work.
I figured this to be the case. Most vehicle now days utilize a single antenna for both radio and gps. I wonder how the antenna connects to the back of the nav receiver...if it has 2 inputs (1 nav/1 sirius) or if it utilizes 1 input.

If its 2 inputs, you could just run the sirius antenna straight to the back of the receiver...might need an adapter to fit particular connect.

If it is only 1 input, you could possibly try and get a second factory satellite antenna and place it in an ideal location on your truck...leaving the original antenna unused. The original antenna is likely permanently fixed to the truck, so moving it would probably leave an open hole on the roof.

I know when using my portable sirius radio unit, I have no reception issues when placing the antenna on the dash against the windshield. That would likely be an ideal place for a second factory antenna...not having to put holes in the truck for external mounting.