View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 PM
butch50
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory installed Nav system

i have a question about the factory installed nav system. I bought a slidein truck camper in TX so we drove there a little over 600 miles to pick it up. We loaded it and and I had problems with my Sirius which I expected because of the cab over portion covering the antenna. So on the way home we got intermitten signal on the Sirius but the GPS worked fine all the way home (which we took a week to do). So after this I had an external Sirius radio antenna installed on the front of the truck. All was working great till today. We took the truck and camper for a drive and on the built in GPS I got a "No GPS" square on the screen and it did not have any real idea where we were as we were heading south. When we drove north this morning it started the NO GPS but it still knew where we were and told us directions almost all the way to our destination.

Now I think the antenna for the GPS is the black puck right in the center on the dash near the front window. The overhead does not block this so I'm suspect that my GPS took a dump. The book on it states not to tint the windows nor have things on the dash so that is another reason I believe that is the antenna.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be or how I can go about trouble shooting it? I really would like to try to fix myself as I know if I take it to Ford I'll have to remove the camper.

I also run a Garmin 1490T in the truck and with it stuck on the front window on the driver side has no problem with picking up satellites.

Thanks