Thread: 2002 4.2L F250
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MWM Diesel

Originally Posted by rnxlf250
Hello, am thinking of buying a 2002 RN XL 4.2L F250, 5 spd manual. Does any one know of any major problems with these models. What kind of fuel efficiency do they get and are they a good/bad vehicle. Thanks
G'day Mate,

A good mate of mine where I live in Victor Harbor has got one of these.
If there is anyone to use as an advertisment for the Toughness and Durability of theses little MWM 4.2L Turbo Diesels, then he's the one.
He shows that thing nooo mercy ... no mercy.

It's a Super Cab and he runs it heavy with a big Ali gull wing tray canopy back on it loaded to the hilt with camping gear, gen set fridge etc. Boat on the roof, outboard and extra spare on the back, 150Ltr water tank and a wooping big extra 400ltr Diesel tank between canopy and cab.
If his missus is with him he would be pulling a heavy offroad van as well. Hate to see him pulled over by the scalys.
He floggs that poor bloody thing along 115K/h full loaded up like that.
Floggs it out on West coast Tassie, Snowys, Flinders, Tracks, Pilbra what ever. Hes on a trip through NT and Gulf as I write and that thing just keeps on keepin' on.
He done over 330,000km in it and hasn't put a spanner on it. He's a stickler for correct Lube oil their change intervals, filters, Fuel filter and Air filter and we all know that is the main key to durability of a good Diesel donk.
The MWM used to be part of Duetz and are made in Brazil. They are the No1 Produced and used Diesel in the Americas. Parts easy to come by and coupled to a 5 Speed ZF Gearbox almost bullet proof.
They have their querks like all thing mechanical. One thing is that they can develop a weak spring and ball check valve in the lube oil pump. But easily fixed. The mates has never had an issue .
Give Mark a call at 'F100 and Ford Spares' in Liston Rd, Lonsdale SA he has had a bit to do with them. He's a bloody good fella.

From what I've seen the mates 4.2 truck do and if you see a good straight one with a service history, I'd go for it.
They're a good and basic mechanical Diesel with a common ZF gearbox which make them easy to maintain, nothing fancy about them.
They are XL so basic again, a hose out version of the XLT.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Reg