Thread: MODED EXHAUST
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MODED EXHAUST

G'day Fellas,

The truck I've got, I bought it off a fella with only 70K km on it.
He had a long range fuel tank put in. It's put in the position the OEM Exhaust piping and box run (see pic). That's well and good, but the job done to re-route the exhaust to come out in front of the right side rear wheel was .. to say the least very ordinary.
From about 300mm back from the OEM Exhaust flange they had a right angle bend down, then another right angle to go under the rail followed by another to meet up with the OEM staggered Muffler box . Basically a number of 3.5" elbows welded together. A tortured gas flow one might say.
Anyway as soon as I got it home I set about modding that set up to get a better flow.
Funds being low after forkin' out for the truck I did the following:
Got a 32" Cummins straight throught 3.5" exhaust and Stainless 3.5" Flexi tubing. Cut the pipe off about 150mm back from the OEM Flange, cut out the box and the rest of the twisted mess.
I positioned the Cummins muffler as far back as practical and shaped the 3.5" Flexi Tubing as shallow a cork scew run into the muffler as I could (see pics).
I had to make up brackets the hold the muffler box up.
It has been in there and doing well for a good 50K km and no real EGT problems either.

So now I want to sweetin' the exhaust flow up better now.
I plan to stay with a 3.5" Down pipe, but jump up to 4" from the OEM flange position (eliminate the flange), into a straight through 4" Muffler and step up to a 5" tip to still come out in front of the rear wheel.

Magnaflow have set up: Magnaflow 15915 99-03 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke 4" Stainless, Turbo Back Exhaust System for F-250/F-350 Superduty, EC-CC/SS-LB. (*3.5" downpipe) [MF15915].
Should be able to get it through Clay?

The thing is beside the downpipe the box and 5" tip, the rest is of not much value to me for my set up?? Do the mobs that custom exhausts reshape new exhaust pipe? I was thinking that all that pipe from the box and up over the axle and out the back could be utilised to mandral shape a nice neat and as shallow as possible 4" cork screw piece to replace the Flexi Tubing section into a new muffler box??
Have any of you blokes got your exhaust coming out the side?
If so how did you got about it?

Any better thoughts fellas?

Cheers,
Reg