Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hydrosmith
I had a CDL up to a short time ago and your explanation of things Dmanlyr seems right on to me. One thing I might add to the trailer in the left lane is no vehicle over 10k combined GVW can be out in the left lane in WA when there are 3+ lanes.

And if such a vehicle is in the left lane of a two lane hwy a delay of five cars or more is cite-able though I don't know if that is even enforced or on the books anymore.

Something just came to mind and you might have stated this but isn't ANY vehicle on a state hwy that is 10k or over limited to 60 mph?

Further don't even get me started on steer tire tread width interpretations as it applies to front axle loading. That's something I used to run into driving tankers.
Yes, so true. I was basilcly trying to define the differences in WA state on what needed a DOT number, something the state has not made real clear, nor trained its Commercial Support officers on as well.

The one thing that I can add is that you can use the HOV lanes with a trailer, as long as the trailer and towing vehicle add up to less that 10k combined. Of course, how you get there say on I-5 with three lanes + the HOV when you cannot drive or be in the left lane with a trailer is my best guess. Pretty much if you are in the HOV in that case is a red flag that you have broken the law!

I can see it on 167 and I-405 though as they are ony two lanes + HOV.

Remember, the HOV lane is NOT considered the left lane, that would be the nect general purpose lane to the right.

David