Old 07-08-2012, 01:15 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Agreed Fulthrotl!

I also agree that we all must be careful in choosing parts and service suppliers on the Internet. Lots of folks that are marginal in quality, know-how, etc.

I am not doubting you (theonlyphoenix) that you know your stuff, but believing your post is not much different than trusting that FICMrepair.com is competent and has done his research (except I have first hand experience with Ed like Fulthrotl does). Without personal experiences, it is ALL across the internet, so we must use certain tools and techniques to weed out the facts from fiction. You said earlier that you "weren't going to poke fun", but the very choice of words casts doubt. IMO (personally having done more than the average amount of research), that FICMrepair.com is knowledgeable, extremely technically capable, and honest. That is enough for me to go on record to separate him from the crowd of other Internet business.

Many folks have watched the knowledge base on these FICMs develop. No doubt that heat and vibration takes its toll. Also, there is no doubt that the extra voltage is going to generate more heat. It is ludicrous to believe otherwise. So - that leaves a better question IMO ............. "what is the ACTUAL benefit of the extra voltage to offset the extra risk of more heat generation" and "how many people have verified the benfit in designed (controlled) experiments (eliminating external variables) with a statistically valid data set"?? In the end, it will still be "Internet information", subject to the same old skepticism!

I probably have more info than most on the actual components that fail and the ratings that are best for longevity, but personally do not want to post because it would possibly hurt Ed's business. He has shared thngs with me in confidence. I also choose to believe someone that is NOT trying to sell me something more than those folks that say you get a benefit from it (IMO it is almost like more MPG's from intake elbows, air filters, and the like).