View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kd0axs
What I'm talking about has nothing to do with Federal (FMCSA) rules. Many states have different registration procedures for vehicles over 10,000 lbs GVWR, regardless of whether they are used for commercial purposes or not. This can make it much more expensive to register an F-350 vs an F-250. For example, here in MN an F-350 gets commercial truck registration even if it's not being used for commercial purposes. An F-250 gets regular passenger car registration because it's under 10,000 lbs. They even get different license plates. It just so happens that this makes the F-350 registration cheaper here, but that's not the case in many states. Some insurance companies also handle vehicles over 10,000 lbs differently.

Also, Ford's rated capacities are not necessarily legal limits, they are simply Ford's recommendations. The laws on this vary by state, but I've thoroughly searched our laws here in MN and there is nothing that specifically prohibits exceeding the manufacturer's stated GVWR or GCWR. There are weights that are illegal to exceed, but GVWR and GCWR are not among them.
I understand that different states have different rules, and I noted that. I went to the Minnesota governement web site and came up with this - it looks like they have raised the limit to 15k since you checked? I know my stste changes things on a regular basis it seems.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=168.002

And I cut and pasted this part of it.

Subd. 21a.Noncommercial vehicle.

"Noncommercial vehicle" means a one-ton pickup truck registered under section 168.013, subdivision 1e, with a 15,000 pounds or less gross vehicle weight rating and for which the owner has made a declaration that the vehicle will be operated exclusively for personal use. The declaration must be based on one or more of the following:
(1) a change of vehicle use;
(2) registration of a new vehicle;
(3) transfer of vehicle ownership; or
(4) registration renewal.

End cut n paste

I am not trying to prove that I am right, or a know it all. I do not know other ststes rules and regs that well without some research, I am just trying to get people to realize that things are changing as personal use pickups get heavier and more capable and to do there homework as many states regs have changed in just the last few years.

While certain states differ, most are now adopting rules well in excess of 10k for persnal use, just like the FMSCR's have for a long time.

As to the legsl limits, you are correct on the GCWR, it is but a recommendation and as such, is not required to, and does not appear anywhere on the safety certification sticker. The other ratings are and as such do appear. This would be under federal law.

Ihope this helps, David