View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 08:48 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spud57
You asked about the camper package. I have the Camper package on my '08. It puts the auxilary springs on the rear with a stabilizer bar but it didn't increase the GVWR. It is still at 9600lbs. On my yellow sticker it says "camper certification". Not sure why that needs to be there.

I was comparing a '12 F250 sitting next to an F350 at the dealer the other day and the F350 has the aux springs as standard equipment and the F250 didn't have any. The F350's GVWR was 11,200. Frustrating my GVWR is still at 9600 when I have the add'l rear springs as the '12 F350!!!! And I also have the rear stabilizer bar and 350 doesn't!!!

Well I guess it really isn't all that important. I'm not over any of my weights and don't plan on upgrading the 5th wheel anytime soon. So I quess I'll shut up now.

S
Your F-250 has the 9600 GVWR because it's an F-250. The F-250's GVWR can not exceed 10,000 lbs for reasons explained earlier in this thread. It has nothing to do with the physical capabilities of the truck or what equipment is installed, it's simply about the numbers and keeping the GVWR under 10,000 lbs. There is absolutely no reason that your F-250 can't safely haul the same payload as an F-350. It's just a big numbers game, that's all it is.

The camper package includes the auxiliary overload springs, stabilizer bar, and also heavier front springs. However, the overload spring is already included on the F-350 as standard equipment. These items do not increase the GVWR or payload capacity, their main function is to help stabilize the truck when it's carrying a load with a high center of gravity like a camper.