Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Cheeva316
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Ford Expedition 5.4 misfiring/losing power/n more

I just bought this truck yesterday here is what it is doing.
01 Expedition 5.4 110k miles

no CEL on.

if I keep a very steady light foot on the pedal on flat road I can maintain speed but if I try to accelerate normally (w/out babying it) it will misfire/shutter
If I step on it while drive it will act like the truck shut off and slow down, sometimes I see the rpm's jump up a bit while stepping on it but runs like crap and shutters.

So today I took out 2 spark plus and cop's and the 1st cop is brand new(passenger side closest to front end) the coil looked good but someone put in a Bosch platinum and didnt look to good, then I took out the one right next to it (2nd one back passenger side) and the boot had rust on it and so did the plug but it was a motorcraft.

I changed both plugs in the process with motorcraft and changed the one rusted boot.

I also cleaned the MAF but after doing those things didnt make much of a difference.

Also it doesnt seem to make a difference if its cold or warmed up.

I'm hoping the one cop boot/plug I saw that had rust on it was not cause an intake leak/crack and hopefully from someone just washing down the truck.

I know I should probably change all cop's and I will when I get some extra money.

but based on the symptoms of how it drives, flooring it>>losing total power would ring a bell to someone.

thanks