View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Pepper68
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Alternator on 2002 Ford F150

Hi, this is my first post. Recently, my truck broke down and I replaced the battery. The very next day, it broke down again, so I figured it must be the alternator. I towed it to a car dealership. It was only a block away from where my truck broke down.

It was on Sunday, so I decided to park it at car place and drop off my keys there. Monday, I came in, and got a price quote, which was $465. I did some googling, and couldn't find a concrete answer on what it should cost. Price ranges from $230 to $658 for replacing alternator. The quote had to be adjusted since I also needed a new belt. Old belt cracked.

When the service department called, they told me my truck was fixed and they had to replace my broken alternator with refurbished alternator.

I would think that brand new alternator would run around $120. But the thing is this remanufactured alternator from the dealership cost me $232.40. I told him, that new ones run for around $120. He said that it is OEM part.

I paid $232.40 for remanufactured alternator, $42 for serp belt, and $179.15 for body electric repair. Total, including tax came to be $497.37.

I'm asking if you think I paid a fair price, or did I get ripped off? The truck does run great after repairs. At least they did give me a free truck wash. It does look nice, but I'm not sure about the price.

Thanks.