View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by The Truck Whisperer
My son has a 1960 F100 with a 351 cleveland and 4 barrel holley carb, it is too much engine adn he cannot afford to drive it. I spoke with someone that is interested in trading a 302 with a 2 barrel carb for the 351 and 4 barrel. Both are complete engines and in solid running order, what are the values of the two engines. Since he would be doing the labor to swap them out, would it be too much to ask that he also pick up the cost of the flywheel and possibly new clutch depending on the sizes?
TW- let me offer some help here....as back in the 80's I had a Ranchero GT 390 4V and gas prices shot up through the roof at that time......

Swaping out for the 302 is really not going to gain much at all...the 302 in trucks was under-powered so in reality, most used more throttle to get it going- end result, less MPG than rated at.

holley use to make (and I'm sure they still do) a 2V Economaster carb.....inexpensive and with a 4v to 2V adapter will bolt right up....i put one on my Ranchero and I can tell you this.....I gained 3-4 mpg city & hwy (IIRR- I went from 10/11 mpg city to 15/16 city), throttle response below 40 mph was better than the 4V, 40-60 mph was about the same, 60+ is started falling off a little and by 75+- well, it was all out of gas at 80 mph.....

IMHO, this would be the best solution.....