View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 11:28 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,654 Likes on 1,350 Posts
Originally Posted by The Truck Whisperer
My son has a 1960 F100 with a 351 cleveland and 4 barrel holley carb, it is too much engine adn he cannot afford to drive it. I spoke with someone that is interested in trading a 302 with a 2 barrel carb for the 351 and 4 barrel. Both are complete engines and in solid running order, what are the values of the two engines. Since he would be doing the labor to swap them out, would it be too much to ask that he also pick up the cost of the flywheel and possibly new clutch depending on the sizes?
This may be a silly suggestion, but first a question: Does that 351c have a lumpy cam or anything else besides the 4bbl that makes it "too much engine"? And what axle ratio is in the truck?

My suggestion: Rather than change motors with all that entails, put a SMALL 2bbl on the 351c, and dial the timing back for regular fuel, if it will take it. Now depending on the cam and axle this may be a worthless idea....

BUT, if you have some lumpy cam in there and short gears to match, the 302 is going to suck gas like a drunk as well, on top of straining to run at those revs.

Maybe.

Good luck with it whichever way you decide.