View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Trouble shooting overheating issues

So, the 450 didn't do too well this past weekend. We experienced overheating issues....(needle in the red and lights on the dash...). Kinda a bummer especially since I expected the med duty truck to pull better than my F250 does. Two issues on the table....overheating and the engine is down on power (compared to my pickups).

So, overheating issue first.
Things I've learned while troubleshooting my issue:
  1. The thermostat begins to open at 195 degrees
  2. T-stat fully open by 205 degrees (about 3/16" at full open)
  3. Removing the radiator is pretty darn easy
  4. A radiator shop can remove the plastic tanks (upper and lower), flush the core and clean everything up for about $95
  5. There are two OEM versions of lower radiator hoses....(buyer beware)
  6. If your degass bottle cap isn't holding pressure, you can remove the o-ring, flip it around and it will hold pressure until you can locate a dealer and get a replacement for under $10

So, I'll slap the radiator back in tonight, install a new t-stat since I happen to have one in the box (I'll save the old stat just in case..). I think I'll swap the fan/clutch from my wife's truck (since it's fairly new) and see if the engine runs cooler.

If so, then I'll look into my power issue. I've suspected the injectors were worn ever since I got the truck. It has decent power but not what I expect compared to my other trucks. The injectors have almost 200k now and I presume they have lived a hard life so I'll go ahead and get them rebuilt with new nozzles sometime this fall.

Since the water temp was super high, I can only assume the oil temp was pretty high as well and perhaps the PCM was defueling?
Max boost was around 25 psi but I didn't get any over boost codes so I am a little bit baffled by that.

I think I really need a fuel pressure gauge on this truck....

Oh yeah....footnote: Banks Brake sucks! The OEM EBPV totally rocks over the Banks unit. Just an FYI....if you are considering a Banks Brake, don't waste your money.

Oh well, here are some pics. This is what the radiator looked like before and after and also what the T-stat looks like at full open (just yanked out of a pot of boiling water...)

Attached Images