View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 PM
oldblue89
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 91dirtydiesel
Body is off, frames getting the wire wheel and then painted....thoughts on what paint? No pics, dropped the iPhone and cracked the whole back corner of it, including camera
Nice, forget the wire wheel though and sandblast it. Sure a wire wheel on a 4.5 inch grinder works well... but not well enough. I've done cars with that but they didn't see the driving and salted roads that my 4x4 idi dually does. After just a few months my dually is starting to rust up again where I wire wheeled the frame extensively, cleaned the surface with lacquer thinner and painted with rustoleum satin black.

For my 89 idi I took a different approach:
I sandblasted I sprayed my frame with rustoleum professional gloss black. I used my hvlp gun to do it so it layed on nice and thick. Although, I am not all that happy with the paint, it just doesn't seem to dry - sure its a terrible time of the year to paint right now and I did spray it on thick - but still. I'll give it a few more weeks and it should probably cure. It needs a hardener bad though - which I found at tractor supply - for oil based enamels. I will give it a try when I sandblast and paint the frame on my dually.

If I were to do it all over on my 89 - I would have used black epoxy primer or self etching primer - basically, anything for bare metal that has an activator/hardener. I just thought that $30 a gallon for rustoleum was a little cheaper than $200 or so for the primer.

I'll try to take that vid of the sidewinder by next week - mocked up my exhaust today and I will weld tomorrow.

In the end though, since you're lucky enough to live on the west coast, whatever you do should hold up decent. Let me know what you'll go for.