View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
Huh...that's an interesting change. The previous generation ('04-'08) had something in the manual that the HD models could hang a light plow.

I don't agree. It has EVERYTHING to do with the front suspension IMHO. Looking through the chart on www.fleet.ford.com, the maximum front GAWR available is 4,050 lbs. The base curb weight permits ~5-700 lbs extra on the front axle before going over GAWR. Even a light plow, accounting for the weight levered off the rear axle, would place the front end over GAWR without even the weight of a skinny driver.

With the exception of the HD models the max payload is typically less than 1,500 lbs, with some exceptions. Add a driver, plow, and counterweight in the bed and you'd be over GVWR easily. There's a reason that no half ton truck on the market is rated for a snow plow. And it ain't the alternator.

I'm not going to argue with you about this Tom. The 1500 GM twins DO have a snow plow prep package. Check it out and see. It's my understanding that after the next redesign the plow prep package may be history for them as well. BUT for now, they offer it.

The owner's manual on my 2011 F-150 simply states that the electrical system will not handle the load of a plow. It says nothing about the suspension components. Light weight plows can be had and are significantly lighter than the old steel blades.

Anyway, I derailed this and I apologize to the OP.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines