View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Mustang1966
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sledmamma
Having troubles with my battery draining overnight and the truck has to be boosted in the am. This is a 2007 Ford ExpeditionMax with 146,900 kilometres on it. I tried JustAnswer.com, but am not totally satisfied with their response. Anyway, here is the scenario:

The battery died for an unknown reason last night and now the media/nav screen won't work. The "starting screen" comes on with the Ford emblem displayed and then shuts off after six seconds. The CD options will display if you hit any of the CD slots/Load/Eject, but that is the only function on the media console that works... The heat, fans, etc., all seem to work properly...
This all occurred after driving the truck for approximately 6 hours in a hard rain on the highway... parked the truck and it wouldn't start the next day. I jumped the battery (which is brand new) and everything worked except the nav/display system. I have been reading about issues with the GEM/Central Junction Box in extremely wet conditions causing these types of electrical issues: could this be the case??

Also, I have been having intermittent issues with the heated seats not working... could this be related??

Already Tried:
Turning truck on and off... pressing all the buttons. Starting the media display from the steering wheel media controls, all to no avail. The screen/nav display did come on briefly but wouldn't come on again after the truck was turned off... I also disconnected the battery and checked the fuses in the passenger side panel and the high-voltage fuse box under the hood. I did not see any evidence of moisture, but did notice a tiny bit of oxidation. Fuses are all good...

This is the response from the Ford Tech at JustAnswer.com when I proposed the scenario to him:

To this answer, I responded:
I am still wondering what is killing the battery? It was dead AGAIN today when I went to start the truck. The audio unit worked briefly until I parked the truck and shut it off at my first destination. The unit/display screen did not work again after I restarted the vehicle at the two subsequent stops. Once I jump the battery, the truck starts again without hesitation when turned off, which says to me that whatever is draining the battery is doing so slowly... Also wondering: could this be an alternator issue?? The battery was brand new in April of 2010... Thanks!!

HIS ANSWER:

Well... I am back to a hundred possibilities!! Where would you start? Any opinions???
Did you ever fix this? My heated/cooled seats stopped working a few months back and now my radio/NAV unit is doing exactly what yours is...