Old 06-18-2012, 08:13 PM
DieCastoms
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've considered the pavement scraper BECAUSE I currently cannot do 4X4 drive-line. What I am building, I think, is a 4X2, but 4X4 in appearance. It will have the equivalent of 40 inch tires on it, so it's going to look like a 4X4 for sure.. Maybe some day in the future when I have more bucks or more interest or more resources I can get a full 4X4 drive train in the thing...

Also.. I think it's going to end up getting a fixed flat-bed on it.... because I want it to be useful other than at car shows and to look at. With the flatbed I could actually use it to move things in the yard without needing it to tow something...

*sighs* But the pavement scraper idea is still in my mind. . .

The 5 link that you mention is I think what I keep calling a 4 link.. two parallel links on each side and then a link across the top to keep the axle centered.. that would work fine for me. Ladder bars would also work fine for me. Leaf springs I cannot do because, try as hard as I might, I have not found small enough leaf springs, even in utility trailers and such... so it's likely going to be coil springs... I'm not yet sure about airbags, but I once thought up a way to do small ones from bicycle inner tube... We'll see.

Next on the agenda is to get a pair of wheels mounted on the back axle so I can figure out how wide the front axle will need to be. I don't mind too much what the final width of the axles turns out to be as long as it doesn't look like the stereotypical 4x4 truck on 4x2 wheels sticking waaaaaay out the sides >.< I hate that . . .

Michael.