Old 06-17-2012, 01:55 PM
78 Ford F150 460
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
FAST EFI FUEL PUMP WITH 2 TANKS---HELP!!!

Ok guys, I need your help with my EFI fuel pump setup. Here's what I'm working with...

I have a 78 Ford F150 that I'm putting a 460 in. I wanted to convert it to fuel injection so I purchased the FAST EZ EFI throttle body fuel injection setup. I purchased the master kit, which included the EFI fuel pump. The problem is the system is set up for 1 gas tank and my truck has 2 gas tanks. The instructions state that the fuel pump needs to be mounted as close to the gas tank as possible, no more than 20" away. This means that my rear tank will be too far away for my fuel pump to operate without damaging or burning it up.

So my solution is this (and this is where I need your help and advice, so if I'm wrong, please correct me)...I need to install a separate (secondary) fuel pump and mount it back by the rear tank to pump fuel up to the FAST fuel pump. I will mount the FAST fuel pump in front of the "Y" junction that switches to the different tanks. If I do this then I don't want the rear secondary pump running while I'm not using that tank. So my solution to this is to wire the secondary pump to turn on when I switch the toggle switch on the dash from the main tank to the Auxiliary (rear) tank. Am in on the right track here? Will this work?

Another question regarding the PSI on the secondary fuel pump....what psi fuel pump do I run since this pumps ONLY job is to pump fuel from the rear pump up to the FAST EFI fuel pump, which will then take over duties of supplying the throttle body???? The FAST Fuel pump is to be set at 43 psi (with a fuel pressure regulator). I don't need a 43 psi secondary pump do I? Will any psi fuel pump work as long as it's not more pressure than the FAST fuel pump? What if I used an electronic fuel pump that was only 4-7 psi, that is used for carburetors? Would that work or do I need a EFI fuel pump that pumps the same amount of psi as the FAST fuel pump?

As for the return style fuel system, I need to run a return fuel line to both tanks so I don't pump returned gas into a full tank that I'm not using. So my train of thought here is to install a "Tee" in the return fuel line and run it to both tanks. So if one tank gets full from return fuel, it will be forced to feed into the other tank....Am I on the right track here? Will this work????

I have been asking these questions to the staff at FAST and they aren't much help because he states that he's never experience a dual tank setup installation so he's not sure how to do it. Also, it's my assumption that they don't want to advise me on how to install it and then have something go wrong with the risk of being held legally liable. Not that I would do that, but they just have a CYA attitude, which I don't blame them. So this is why I need your help....Thanks..