View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
.....am I safe with a CLEAN fuel system to start with in going to Bio gradually and ending up with B99 on my 6th tank from now? do the 7.3s like 99% BIO?

5 years ago I did the same thing by gradually going up in concentration over the course of several tanks until I filled it with B100 within a couple months, and had no problems with any sort of filter plugging with built-up deposits. I had also checked the fuel filter twice to find nothing. So I presume I had a clean tank and fuel system to begin with. I am just over 150K miles with 30K of those miles on B70 and up. Just a couple months ago, I dropped my tank to do the hutch and harpoon mods, and was amazed at how spotless it was in there. Even the mixing screens were immaculate, with no junk on them whatsoever. So as far all as those warnings about filter plugging when running biodiesel, it all depends on the condition of you fuel system to start with.

I think 7.3 PSD's run outstandingly well on biodiesel. All of my Blackstone OA's come back great with no indication of any sort of oil dilution. My latest emissions test outperformed the test results of my 1995 Mercedes E300D in the opacity reading. My 7.3 got an 8% opacity, while the Mercedes got 15%. To me this means more complete combustion.