View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
jrnice
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the vitals, on the truck itself and the Ford background. I have done a fair amount of work on it thus far so I know a bit more about the engine.

When I looked underneath I found 3 freeze out plugs so I figured it was a later 260 if not a 289.
Pulled starter: casting C3OE -6015B 3A16 date caode.
According to the charts I found it's supposed to be a 5 bolt bell, 2 freeze out plug, but it's not. It has 3 and, of course the mounts are at 7". After I found a dead cylinder, I pulled the heads. Looks like a standard bore 260. Actually looks pretty clean inside. I am happy.

#5 cyl (10 psi) has a bad valve. Machine shop has them now. I am having hardened seats installed. He's having a hard time finding either the guides or the valves. I'm not sure how long I will leave the 260 in, but figured I could probably sell it later. I saw a timing cover with the front oil fill go for about $225 on Ebay...so I figured I'd get some money back out of it. Perhaps the date code may fill a need for someone down the line.

Currently it has a 3 sheave crank pulley and a single sheave water pump pulley. I need to clean it off to get a number. I'd rather have a single crank pulley. I already have a 3 sheave crank and 2 sheave water off a 65 Falcon 289.

I am going to convert it to a newer timing cover from a 5.0. I need to drill the dipstick boss and get an electric fuel pump. I want to do this so I can use a one wire alternator I already have on the shelf.

Trans has a non-sync 1st, with a side cover. I pulled the tag and bead blasted and painted it. Looks like "1-U-3-C-4 ....1-M-12-A"
I was able to get the correct rear ext. housing seal from Green.
Pretty sure it's not a 303. I had one of those in an early Bronco, so I dont thing so.

I'll post up the pulley number.

Thanks for your help.