View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Rolling
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogue40
As a welder and fabricator I can tell you pretty much anything can be done when enough time and money is invested.
With what you are proposing to be done as a quality mod would require huge investments of both. This is a project I would love to watch in progress.
Good luck and post lots of pictures. I'll definitely be following allong!
I`m thinking that with a full donor car that is in working order, I can lessen the cost with the addition of time....(I`m not afraid of wiring, luckily )

Originally Posted by Fifty4F100
I think most people graft in a front clip only. And I'm not sure it turns out to be any cheaper than an aftermarket front suspension. Its certainly not as rigid as aftermarket clips.

Remember that a car body supports the frame its built on and the truck cab and bed won't. It could fold up in the middle. A truck frame supports itself using no support points from the cab and bed. That's why you can't simply saw off a car roof and make it a convertible. The roof supports most of the middle of the frame.
As stated below, the vic has a full frame just like our trucks. I won`t be racing the truck anyway, just street duty and some light towing.

Originally Posted by garbz2
Crown Vics are a full Parameter type frame. Structure removal on this type of frame has no issue.

Removing structure on a unitized car like a mustang or camaro has these issues as they use sub-frame assemblies and the body provides the rigidity.

Before doing any type of frame swap check with your DMV if it is even legal.

The Frame on 65 66 is what titles the vehicle as the body has no VIN stamping's.

Garbz
I`ll check on the legality end of it, I`m more asking about logistics of it here. Thanks for the heads up .

Here is the build I saw where the guy used a Mercury Marauder(same chassis as a vic) frame and drivetrain. I`ll PM the builder and ask him some questions.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-chassis.html

And here are some pages of interest:
A drawing of a vic frame: http://www.thedirtforum.com/CrownVicFordframe.jpg
And some pictures of an actual vic frame: Crown Victoria Ladder Frame