Old 12-25-2003, 01:20 AM
skigalini
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Run Out Of Diesel ... Best Way To Get Restarted

Excuse my ignorance please. I just bought a 6.0L F250 diesel and am dumb as a rock about this subject. Scenario: Your 7.3 or 6.0 L diesel truck runs out of diesel on the interstate. Bone dry. How do you get it restarted ?????

I had a diesel VW rabbit years ago and I was on one of those Guiness Book of World Records long-long bridges in Louisiana and I ran out of diesel half way. Oh ... my ...gawd ... it ended up being an all-day event with Bubba from Deliverance giving me a ride and wanting to make me squeel like a pig. No joke ... barely escaped from near peril.

I was a young skinny guy back then and fortunately didn't end-up submitting to making pig squeeling sounds for some chain-saw-massacre guy that only had two teeth. I had to hitch-hike to the end of a west-bound bridge (11 miles) with Bubba who was reluctant to let me out (no civilization ... just aligators, crickets and frogs) and then turn-around back on a 22 mile bridge east-bound back to a diesel station. Then 11 miles back to my VW diesel Rabbit (44 miles in all ... catching rides 3 times). I got a 2 gallon can of diesel and couldn't get the dang thing started. I ended up sleeping in my VW Rabbit that night and the next morning an OTR Roadway Express driver helped me out to get my Rabbit running. He was a former diesel mechanic and knew just what to do.

That was 22 years ago and I can't remember how I got the damn thing started, or how I illuded the deliverance snaggletooth dude (you can kill me if you want to, but I won't grab my ankles for anybody). No joke ... I wore soap on the rope in the military ... I guess I'm homophonic or whatever they call it. I like womens and that's that.

That evening was one of the worst nights of my life. BUT ... I never had to squeel like a pig (like in the movie Deliverance). I survived. Oh yeah ... thank God ... I survived the trip from Georgia to Texas.

Hey man ... excuse me ... I'm still afraid of breaking down on one of those long bridges (you should be too). I break out in a cold sweat in fear of bubba pulling over and trying to help me again. Afraid it might turn into a real pain in the butt.

O.K. ALL JEST ASIDE ... MY QUESTION IS:
If I break down because I run out of diesel ... what can I expect ... what should I do about it? Yeah ... perhaps my question is stupid ... hey ... your educated answer could help a few of us rookie diesel truck owners out who don't know what to do, just in case we run the tank all the way down. Hopefully, I will never be stupid enough to ever let that happen, but presently, my 6.0L is getting bad MPG so it's possible, I guess.
??

Last edited by skigalini; 12-25-2003 at 01:30 AM.