View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 AM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for LineX. I had my 05 done when new and it's holding up pretty well. It has a few good blems from getting whacked by bobcat attachments, careless handling of chain binders, sheets of plywood, etc. I've had it patched before and need to have it patched in a few areas again, but compared to a drop in, it's far superior. Hurculiner is an OK DIY liner, but won't hold up like LineX. I've used hurculiner a lot for a home-made trailer, flatbed, plow mounts, bumpers, bottom of the doors, etc and it works good for those applications where it just doesn't make sense to pay the premium for LineX. I've also used the duplicolor spray can stuff on the bumper and grille guard of my F550, and it's holding up well (they were sandblasted and primed first), but have also used it on a few other things and it didn't last much longer than rust-oleum would have (prep is the key).

Here's a pic of the F550 with the duplicolor spray-on on the grille guard and bumper and hurculiner on the rockers, door sills, and bottom of the doors, taken right after putting the hurculiner on. The door sills being a fairly high wear area getting in and out and subject to all the road spray and rocks off the front tires, I applied the herculiner all the way up to the bottom gasket inside the door opening. The herculiner worked so well for this I'm doing it on 2 more trucks this summer. But for a truck bed, I'd still do LineX over herculiner.

Also, a pic of the F350 Flatbed. We built this bed ourselves and coated all the steel for the flatbed, rear bumper, mud flap brackets, and hitch with hurculiner. It looks more gray as it fades in the sun, but it seems to hold up fairly well.