View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 02:40 PM
soling2003
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking noise in front end

FWIW....I had this clicking noise coming from the right front tire on my truck in my sig. Sounded just like a rock in the tread, which happens a lot, and we had just driven on a gravel road. I got rid of all the rocks and it was still there. But you could only hear it with the front passenger window open. Barely when the rear pass. Window open, and pretty much only if there was some kind of wall or hedge on the right side of the road for the sound to bounce off of.

It changed with speed, but not on braking or turning.

So I searched on here last night and found a bunch of good info. So today I drove to make sure it was warmed up and it made the noise and jacked up the front. Tire was solid, 4x4 hubs when in and out fine, brakes not scored, and no noise! I tried spinning it as fast as I could....nothing. So let it back down and I'm not 20 ft and there is the clicking noise! Back to driveway and remove the tire. There is a very faint noise from the hub where bearings are, but no clicking of any kind anywhere. So I put a little lube on the matting surface of the hub to tire, remount it ( the lug nuts weren't as tight as I might have thought), torqued em down and viola, no more noise! Seems the wheel was moving ever so slightly on the hub as it rotated. It needed the 2500 pounds of weight on it to move.

Sorry for the long winded post, but just one more little thing to look at when diagnosing sounds on these heavy trucks. I only have 14,500 miles on this, so couldn't believe it would have been anything actually wearing out yet, as was relieved.