Thread: PCM goes bad?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,157 Likes on 915 Posts
Originally Posted by metriccar
All I can say is sometimes the truck will run rough, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it shifts hard, sometimes it doesn't. I got a code 67 so I got under the truck and adjusted the neutral safety switch. That worked for a while. And all this time, I've been trying to pin down the intermittent rough idle. So I got a code 32, something to do with an EGR valve sensor. So I called a mechanic and told him I got a code 32, something to do with an EGR sensor. He asked if I wanted the EGR valve replaced. I said no, I'd like everything tested to see what is wrong. I didn't say anything at all about intermittent.

So they had the truck for 2 hours. Ran it for a while, shut it off. Ran it again, shut it off, (it was mostly off though). Then after about 2 hours they said the EGR valve is stuck open but the PCM is going out. When I went out there they had something hooked up to the battery. They did not offer to replace the EGR and made it sound like replacing the PCM is priority, but it's obsolete. I can't believe this truck has a piece of obsolete computer equipment that threatens to make it inoperable!!!!!

Anyways I am new to this computer crap and wishing I bought an older truck at this point (or newer one), that didn't have computer stuff on it that can't be replaced. I have never heard of that. Wondering if that's why the owner sold it.

EECIV relay? Never heard of it? Not sure what else I can do. I think the PCM is unavailable and hit 5 salvage yards but none had a 460 E40D.

So, I can take a gamble on another used one for like $150 or spend like $250 for new old stock refurbished ones... not really sure how to go about proving/disproving it's bad.... and I'm thinking the mechanic wasn't trying to gyp me by not suggesting to replace the EGR after looking at it and saying they can't replace the part that needs to be replaced?
Code 32: Indicates the EGR position signal from the EVP is or has been (depends on when the code is displayed) below 0.24 VDC. This would typically not indicate the EGR is stuck open. More diagnostics need to be run to verify the EVP signal output with the EGR closed as well as the output as it is opened. Invest in a cheap DVM to measure the output.

Even though your PCM is obsolete from Ford you can usually source one from an aftermarket supplier. I would not recommend doing so until you take a look at the PCM for signs of leaking capacitors or possible water damage.

PCM info from : Fuel Injection Technical Library » EEC Program Codes