Thread: 1954 F-100 (D)
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 PM
54TexasF100
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
1954 F-100 (D)

This is my build thread for my 1954 F-100.

Background:
Purchased in November 2001 locally in Texas. Mostly all original: 223 oil breather, 3 on the tree, 4.27 splicer, bench, etc. I made her (Sandy) road worthy and drove as primary mode of transportation until April 2004 when I had the money to buy a new car. This began the dream of building a hot rod. I made the decision in my mind that during tear down I would get rid of everything that I did intend to use. This was a young dumb mistake. I wish I still had some of those parts. I have been off and on working, as money/time permits, since 2004. I intend to use all Ford parts and reuse parts from donor as much as possible. So far I have enjoyed the adventure of creating or repurposing parts.

Plans (not a complete list):
Motor-351W: purchases from Bolt-On Motors late 2011. Came from a 1985 or 86 F-250. I am told it is a H.O. and visually it has a stock holley 4 barrel carb. I will rebuild.
Trans -C4: I will rebuild. Came from my 1981 F-100 donor that I bought late last year thinking is was a 351W but turned out to be a 255W (V8). Thought it was a bad deal but I have an endless amount of steel and usuall parts.
Frame - No major modification except for a few extra mounting holes. POR-15 black.
Front End - Aerostar IFS (rack and pinion): Got the idea from a past co-worker (Scott Hurley (FTE here)). Welded in and ready to replace bushing, paint and final assembly.
Rear End - 9 in from the above donor with leaf for now. It is a bit wide but in mock up I think I can make it work with the right back spacing.
Seat- Bench from donor. Mock up showed it fits.
Radiator - From donor: Already fabbed up brackets and think it will work.
Brakes - Master cylinder and booster from donor. Temp mounted to firewall with pedel bracket installed.
Steering Column - From donor: Temp installed. Plan to buy new original steering wheel or other design that is as close to original looking.
Gas tank - 1970 Mustand (22gal) - Mounting frame complete less paint and install. All mocked up.
Cab - Stripped and Epoxy primered by Metal Rehab in 2006. Need to do the normal corners, floor (minimal).
Glass - Lack rear.
Doors - Stripped and Epoxy primered by Metal Rehab in 2008. 80% of hardware install complete.
Hud, Fenders - Have not started but in fare condition.
Bed - Bought a complete bed with rear fender (now have 2 sets of rear fenders, may make wide rear fenders) because may side walls of original was beyond what I thought could be repaired. I think it was a mistake but no matter now.
Wheels - Would like original style with dog dish. 5X 4.5 or 114.3 all the way around. I currently have the donor wheel (look like 4X4 wheels) and original 5X 5.5.
Paint - John Deere Blitz Black (1 option) or Original Color (2 option but the Vin ID says SS. It is a darker green)
Ride Height - Have dreamed of a lower stance but to start I will not be so concerned. I do not want to c notch or other mods to the frame to lower.

Pictures to follow.

Thanks for looking,
Stephen

Last edited by 54TexasF100; 05-24-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: 3 on the tree not 6. That would have been sweet but quite a tall learning curve.