View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 06:12 PM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
Dont have a drain plug, thats why I was looking at using the mityvac I have. I could get all the oil out of the pan. I thought about doing the filter but the car is running and I hate to drop the pan put a new gasket and a new filter in and then the transmission goes out.

I know it needs to be rebuilt cause it has the typical issue that all old ford transmissions have, the seals are dried out and in cold weather the trq converter drains out and makes a sound like its low on fluid, but once warmed up or in warm weather (above 70*F) theres no problems. I planned on having it overhauled when the engine is due. Just want to make it last. I guess I should look into getting a pan gasket and a transmission filter if I can even get one locally.

Aside from that the only problem the transmission does have is it seems like some times you have to give it an excessive amount of throttle to get it to down shift back into first when your doing about 25, after slowing down for someone to make a turn. That might just be normal or it could be the fluid.

FMX transmissions have a drain plug in the convertor,