View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 09:39 PM
crsweet78
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
400 rebuild cost

So Ive never had an engine rebuilt, but I kind of want to rebuild my engine this summer. Right now I have a 351m, but I want to convert it to the 400. I was planning on buying a reground 400 crank and tmeyer pistons to bump up the cr. I wanted to go with a comp cam hig energy cam. Double roller timing chain. I was planning on having the shop assemble the long block for me. Do all the machine work to the block and heads, Balance the rotating assembly, degree the cam.

I already have my edelbrock intake, 4bl carb, complete msd ignition, pro billet dist. Im sticking with the stock exhaust manifolds.

What a general idea of what a machine shop will charge to do what Im planning? Im working on my interior right now but as soon as I finish that up, im thinking this will be my next project and Id like to have an idea of the cost. Also whats usually the turn around for them to do this, so I have an idea of how long my truck will be without an engine? Last quick question, around what hp would I see out of a build like this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.