Thread: 7.3 rough idle
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 AM
gearhead351
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 7.3 rough idle

I have a 99 7.3, been well maintained and I love this truck. Problem being I have a rough idle.. truck runs good above that, in park its smooth, in gear it idles and the truck shakes lightly, however it is very annoying. Does appear to be lacking power slightly.. could just be used to my old edge evo. 230k and counting at the moment. Couple weeks ago on the freeway the truck did a "cough cough" brief moment of power loss, then completely fine.

The rough idle sound, almost sounds like a hiccup? like a rubber squeak, but it comes from the exhaust, kinda like the engine sounds like its rocking in the mounts. It comes and goes though, sometimes its smoothish, and sometimes its really squaking. But still, after an injector swap it runs so smooth its like a gas motor. So could be heading up the wrong tree.

I got a tank full of water a month ago and I believe it is all gone. I have changed 3 injectors as they did not pass CCT. Ford did the cps recall, Grey sensor I believe. brand new fuel filter, brand new oil as of last week.

I changed 1,3,8 injectors. the last one being 3 as of last tuesday. every time I change the ones that dont CCT it runs great for a week then back to crappy idle.. Injectors all buzz fine, no codes, HPOP puts out good pressure. I have no tuner at the moment, stock. Just have intake and exhaust. No fuel in coolant, and no fuel in oil. fuel filter was clean but changed it cause the gasket swelled. But on a brighter note, my DP tuner comes in tomorow

HOWEVER, this is my only indication that anything is wrong...

Name:  IMG_5895.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  62.0 KB

you drain the filter housing, turn key on, clean fuel comes out. run it for a few.... back to that. it appears air perhaps? and when I change an injector its fine for a few days. then back to square one. But this cloudy substance is always present.

Thanks! help my truck!