Old 05-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=RobErnst;11816327]
Originally Posted by dkf

I sell Fords for a living so I'm putting my bias up front.. BUT, Car and Honda (Car and Driver) TRIED to get an Explorer to turn over. They rigged up a tire so they could blow it on command, put the big roll over thingy rigs on the side so the car would survive, put a professional driver in a fire suit and VIOLA, they couldn't get one to roll over. They tried it at speeds from 15 mph all the way to 70 mph and moved the special "blow out wheel" to all four locations on the vehicle but couldn't get it to happen. Just take your foot off the gas, brake gingerly to normally and pull over.

Why are Ford Explorers Crashing? - Column - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

firestone tire blowouts was caused by a tire that is underrated for the weight. due to some inter-office miscalculations, ford specd that firestone tire which was not adequate for the vehicles weight. Ford said to simply raise the tire pressure so it could handle the load (near tires maximum operating pressure), however most people neglected to run it at the 43 or so psi and kept it at 36, causing delamination of the tread from the belts.