View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 01:00 AM
rikosintie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xbox73
Some topics to ponder when considering upgrading braking in general are:

Do you have enough brakes to lock all 4 tires?
Once you have enough brakes to lock all 4 tires (or, preferably, threshold brake right before the point of lock up), it's impossible to brake any harder than that. At that point you are limited by traction, not by brakes. So if one has enough brakes to lock all 4 tires, then upgrading brakes won't help, only improving traction e.g. by upgrading tires will help.
Not to be an *** but are you kidding me? Have you ever driven a lifted Ex with 35's or larger? You couldn't lock up all 4 tires if you put a hydraulic cylinder on the brake pedal and used enough force to bend it. And we have ABS, so even if you had enough brake power to lock them on dry pavement the ABS would kick in. I want those calipers and I don't consider them overkill. If I could afford it I would go with AP brakes with 14" rotors.

Not to mention I tow 99% of the time and have 5600lbs on the rear axle with 12.5" wide tires. I doubt that even if SSBC made rear calipers that they could lock up a 12.5" wide tire with 2800lbs on it.
Michael