Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
I'm not big on additives either, but I do trust Marvel Mystery Oil. That stuff has been around since World War II, and it smells nice. I had a "tick" in my engine for about a year after it sat unused for a while, and an old timer mechanic told me to get a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil and add it to the engine oil. And it worked! When I changed the oil that was treated, it was blacker than I had ever seen it before. The tick is gone, and that was 5 years ago and it never came back! I still use it from time to time as a fuel stabilizer, and add a pint or so right before an oil change.
That reminded me, my brother had a similar experience. He bought a vehicle that sat on a used-car lot for quite some time and had a lifter tick that wouldn't go away, even after several changes of oil. He finally used something like MMO and the tick went away - but in his case he had to continue to use a can of MMO in each oil change or the tick would come back. Perhaps a different viscosity oil would have fixed it, but he went with what worked - for years.