View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 PM
TimRobillard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2012 F-250 exhaust

Research this endeavor carefully.There are definitely issues when installing a custom exhaust system on a 2011 or 2012 F-250 Super Duty with the 6.2 gas engine. I just had a Flowmaster 53073 70 series installed. Not good. There is barely any noticeable difference in sound, it's mostly just a droning sound. This was after jury-rigging the rear outlet to fit correctly. The inlet/outlet on the 53073 is 3 inches. The inlet is correct, and will attach easily. The outlet will not. The outlet to the tailpipe is 3 and 1/2 inches. Flowmaster mentioned this little tidbit after the fact. Nice of them to let me know. Flowmaster does not sell this muffler, or any other muffler for this vehicle with the correct outlet. You will need an adapter, unfortunately, there is very little room to do this. The option I used was to just weld in the gap. That worked quite well. A good welder will make it look stock. The biggest issue, by far, is the resonator. Because of this big lump of useless metal, there are no true "cat-back" systems available, no matter what you read, or what the manufacturer tells you. You will have to remove the resonator to get to a true cat-back installation. Here's the bitch part. The resonator has dual inlets, and a single outlet. This is one tricky part to bypass. My mechanic could not believe his own eyes. That was a first. This has been my experience. The one thing I do know is that no matter what you put behind the resonator, you will not get the results you are looking for. The resonator has to go. I'm currently researching a way to do this without hacking the hell out of my system. Possibly a dual inlet, single outlet bypass pipe ? Any ideas ?