Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 PM
CR_Magruder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tight Fit

I bought some parts from a local guy that parted out 6BTs for fun and profit--the vacuum pump/steering pump combo, and some other small parts. He suggested I put a 6BT in, since I would have more HP to build on. I nixed that, since I already had the 4BT and I did not want to deal with the extra weight. Well then I went about setting in the inline four and quickly saw that a 6BT would only go in with some major sheetmetal work. So that idea is one for those guys that have a lot of time on their hands; but I wanted to get the project done so it could be a daily driver again.

Here is a shot of the engine with the flywheel and front pulley on. Not going in like this!

With the front pulley off, there is barely room to get it down under the cowling. This is with the clutch disc and pressure plate removed also.

The next problem was the rear lift eye was too tall and my lift chain made too much of an inverted "V" to get the rear of the engine under the cowling.

I needed to make a swivel hook to get a little more freedom while positioning the engine, so I used a chain binder and a swivel eye on the end of my hoist:

This allowed me to turn the engine sideways to get it down the hole, then put the clutch on once it was down. Then I could turn the engine 90°, lower it a little more and connect to the transmission.

To make all this work, I had to cut down the rear lift eye so the boom on the hoist was as close as possible to the valve covers. If I ever do this agian, I will spend some time to make a lift bar to get the lift point and swivel a little closer to the valve covers.