View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 AM
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HAHA yes i do know about the valve seats, the hard way. The block crank and heads i took directly to a napa machine shop right after buying the engine(which was already disassembled...such a PITA) i had them install cam bearing which i supplied, vat the block and do freeze plugs IF they had any i wasnt worried about it, vat and polish crank, vat and whatever else to the heads.

ended up all the seats had to be replaced along with guides, which the machinist told me i was up to 500 in labor alone when he had one head complete and the crank was in vat as he was on the phone with me. now theyre telling me 685 for total bill im going to have to get a loan to pick this bstrd back up!

this engine did come with the 2bbl intake.

the thing is that the man i bought this from said it was installed in a 68 truck when he recieved it(he gave me the 4spd T18 along with it) but the valve covers are mercury and the hose setup on the intake looks like it had some crazy emissions like a car would versus a truck. Im ASSUMING its a mercury engine but one thing i noticed is that the mains have the same type webbing as my 76 f350's 360 engine(dtea?dt4~? block casting). i had the casting numbers handy but that napkin went POOF somewhere. every cast# ive ran into starts with C6-- so i know its 60's. also came with the fuel pump w/ filter in it and a dual vacuum points dizzy. I was cleaning parts today and i also have a one piece fuel pump eccentric that is really thick while my 76 360 has a two peice. IDK if these details scream anything to you? it sounds like you've got a lot of this down pretty well.

Another weird thing is that while cleaning the main caps the rear seals were still in that cap and looked like brand new with C6... FOMOCO numbers still on them and the little side seals had what look like nails or sharpened wire hangers in them? there was red RTV all over and clevite 77's 10 over so i know its been built before. Ive never seen this before but this is my first time THIS deep into an FE.

I didnt get a very good look at the block which had bearings still in it but the caps i have with bearing also and they've all bronzed and scored like i said were .10's but the mains have oil holes in them. Im not for sure if both bearing halves have oil holes otherwise whoever build this thing put them in backwards! the bearing halves i have look oil starved bad. I have the M57HV pump that was with it also.

WOW sorry about all that info hope i didnt go on too much!
thanks 85e150six4mtod!