View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Gatrucknut
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=critterf1;11733185]Break the heater core tubes and pull the hoses out. Connectors are easy once you can reach them.[/QUOTE

I have to agree with this one. I removed my heater core by fiddling with the tabs with pliars. The Chilton says to discard the clips, but none of the parts stores in my area had them. Being that I was really wanting my truck back on the road asap, I cut the hose ends off as close to the sleeve as possible and used the wide band over the counter clamps. Just make sure the clamp is on straight and either on or past the QDC ridge on the new heater core tubes. Yuo can either see the clamps or touch them, not both at the same time.
I spent more time trying to take the hoses off, trying to keep the clips than the rest of the removal took. Knowing now what I didnt then, CUt or break the core tubes and deal with the QDC's where you can at least see 'em.
I had to pull the MAP sensor off the ac box to get my arm in and the intercooler tube on that side. Inside the cab, just take off the glove box, and blend door mechanism and then its base. The base of it has "fingers" on it that keep the core tubes up against the firewall.
Have a few beers and some fun!