Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Kinda like a floormat, but it's permanent

Soooo, Been working on this area for the past week and not wanting to post it up because many of you will confuse it for 'slathering a bunch of goo on the floors to fix them'. I have been fixing the rust holes in my floor which are far between and no more that a half inch across. I cut out the rusty areas and welded in new sections of metal. The steel is heavy gauge and was from two sources... The first a 35 mph speed limit sign from before they were aluminum, and secondly a large section of an industrial circuit breaker panel. What I have here is a molded in floor mat. It's almost like a mud flap bonded to the truck's floor. Keep in mind I have a very noisy cummins diesel conversion and want it as quiet as possible in the cab. After the welding was completed, I washed the already ground and faired in steel with some acid wash left over from my gas tank lining job. Then when dry I painted the whole floor with rustoleum red primer. Now the good part.... To this day I have used 16 tubes of sikaflex polyurethane marine adhesive which I have used for over 20 yesrs and sticks like mad to properly prepared steel surfaces. The sikaflex was alternated with fiberglass window screen as reinforcement. I filled in the ribs in the floor with cypress wood planed to 1/4" and fully immersed in the sikaflex. This gave a flat floor for the screen /sikaflex matrix. OK, so maybe many of you are wondering why this 'nut' would do all this to a floor of a fridge truck....... I have owned about 30 or so old trucks over the years and with very few exceptions, upon lifting the floor mats, one would see a rusty mess of jute backing under a rubber mat and holes and wetness that never evaporated long after the rain that got in had stopped. You lucky guys from Nevada and other DRY areas haven't suffered this woe, but believe me, it is a reality. I keep my trucks under cover and my windshields sealed, but it's just a pet peave of mine. I run my other old trucks with NO floor mat at all, just for this reason. I have never bought a floor mat with all the money I have spent over the years on trucks. In this particular project I don't feel I want to go 'matless' because of the noise and heat of the diesel. I honestly believe that if water ever enters the cab of my '59, it will sit on top of my bonded floor and I also feel that with the density of my new mat, the noise and heat level will be diminished with my formed in place permanent floor mat and noise repeller. I will not post a picture yet because it's not done. In the final coat I'm thinking I might use a notched trowel and make it actually look like a floor mat...... And if that aint hillbilly, I'll...., oh never mind