View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 AM
POWERSTROKE ARUBA
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pjwoolw
They can go bad. I know they can just loose their minds per say and need to be re-flashed also.

You pretty much have to stick with the same DTC type as far as I know. But I could be wrong about that. The California PCMs are a different animal. The Super Duty PCM is different than ours too. They can be made to function in these rigs. But unless you were going with a 4R100 in place a E40D I don't see the advantage.

Your PCM code can be read on the driver side of it if you have good eyes. I used a inspection mirror.
Yesterday I met a friend with a F350 1999 and I have asked him if he had problems with the PCM.
My explain to him and to you what happen about 2 yrs ago.

I bought this truck that had about 2 to 3 yrs not running and missing some engine parts like altinator, vaccuum pump, powersteering defect and brake lines. So I fixed it with some help and it started.(Great sound of truck)
About running this truck for less than a month a stopped at a tireshop to fill the tires and when leaving it just stopped as of the clutch has slipped out of my foot., but wich as not the case. I try to start and start, cranks, cranks but no start. So at that point tow it home.

I found a mechanic who had a scanner and had done a quick diagnose for me and he said that the readings he got was as follows: 1 to eight injectors are open and two readings. now heres is the problem that of two years ago I got confused with the IDM or PCM. But I recall the guy say something of ECU failure.

So far I have checked all advice I have could have read and got about fuses, bowl heater wire connection, water in IDM, battery and all the other factor which I don't see as failure or defect.

So this is the problem I have a great truck big and tough and it is not running.

Now about flashing the ECU / PCM do I have to buy a special tool for it or what?

Thanks for your advice