View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades
many guys here run the Facet Duralift pump. they're preferred because they can suck fuel as much as 10 feet up, unlike most pumps that prefer to push not pull.
others are running a carter or airtex pump made for diesel.
anyone who has tried the mr. gasket pump has posted with bad results and short life.

personally, i have an airtex pump set up in an unusual way: its in line with the mechanical lift pump (which is less than a year old), and is wired to only run when the glow plugs are on, making it a starting aid only, for when i have air in the lines. for only running 15 seconds at a time a couple times a day, it'll last forever i'm sure.
for doing it this way, i still use the mechanical pump i just bought last year, but have a backup for starting with air intrusion, and in the event of the mechanical pump failing, i just have to bypass it and change one wire on my e-pump, and i'm back on the road. i see it as the best of both worlds, others here see it as a pointless system. you decide for your truck.
as you know, most guys who do it remove/bypass the original lift pump and have the e-pump wired up so it has power whenever the fuel solenoid on the IP has power

when i had lift pumps fail they pump fuel into the crankcase, wouldnt your electric on just do that if the pump failed and you tried to use it to get home? or you have 2 sets of hoses?