View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Coverbrooke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a BAD Pump

Got the fuel out of the tank OK using a small 12v low pressure fuel pump I had. Not difficult dropping the tank, used a tow strap through the two oval slots in the frame, to lower it
Took out the fuel pump module and applied 12 V to it, some slight noise but not "running"
Un-crimped the pump body and removed the bottom cover under which is the impeller / turbine. Motor then ran OK - but really don't know if its developing full power or not. Compared with a 12V rechargeable drill I have it sounded "weak".
It "appears" as if the impeller blade tips may have been catching in the slot which they are supposed to pump fuel out through,
Oh, I did blow through the line and gas flowed out at the filter connector - so it wasn't blocked.
I haven't had much luck finding a pump on Vancouver Island so have ordered an Airex E2521 from Rock Auto.
I also intend to install another outlet line in the pump module top plate and use it to supply an external pump down by the filter - to be used if I have another failure. I'm aware that this line will have to be full of gas as the pump isn't positive displacement and won't "suck".
Must saw I'm disappointed in this "new turbine style Ford Pump" which lasted only just over 1 year and 7,000 mile.
Thanks for the help
Peter