Thread: Gauges
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Got two in and working. Found that 2" abs plumbing vent pipe is about 2 1/16th ID and was a great collar for the gauges, cut with a chopsaw into 5/8" tall rings. This set them off the glass to factory specs. I found the gauges differ somewhat in dia so had to use a die grinder just a bit to pass one through the stock dash hole. It wouldn't affect remounting stock gauges though. The camera lens distorts the perspective, but the gauges are perfectly centered and you can read the numbers from the drivers seat. This was really easy, once I did the figuring. I bi-passed the voltage limiter for the stock gauges, as the aftermarket ones use 12 volts. One lead on the limiter is male, the other female, so I just unplugged them from the device and plugged the two leads into each other. Both my original fuel and temp gauges were shot, as testing from the ford shop manual proved, but I later found my tank sender float had sunk as well. The photo shows why, and I found a temporary replacement until I order the 14.00 float from Sacremento Vintage Ford.

Attached Images