View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I vote for the 300 six and 5 speed. None of your other choices seem like they'd get very good mileage either. Also, if you plan on modernizing the chassis components on the fridge, maybe you should at least do some quick measurements and see if you could swap the fridge bed and cab onto the '92 chassis. I know it's a lot of work and hurdles to overcome, but like I posted last week, at least it would all be engineered. Think about the cost of upgrading to power steering, disc brakes, IFS, modern rear axle ratio etc. Besides, the drivetrain and frame in your F250 is far more heavy duty. I haven't swapped a body before, so I'm just casting this out as a possibility.
It sounds good but body/frame swaps seldom end up well. The 92 is heavy duty F-250 and rides like a lumber wagon, plus it's too tall. Part of the reason for wanting an older truck is they sit low and are easy to reach over the side and get stuff from the bed. The steering actually seems real tight on the 60. After an thorough inspection I might just keep the whole stock front end, maybe convert to disc brakes and for sure at least a dual master cylinder and power booster. I think with the 302 set up right and a nice set of dual exhaust it might get 17-18 mpg