View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM
den052
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya, it's way cool. Read it online somewhere and tried it. I had a clear line that fit snugly over the tip. Could see it suck fuel from the ports. Tried it on the new injector and it could hold 22 inches of vacuum. Since I was working on the right bank, I removed the ICP and filled the oil manifold with a pump oiler till oil ran out. Replaced the ICP and cranked the engine. Started right up in about 30 seconds of crank.
I am an old fart, 60 years old. Luckily I took an electronic/electrical class in High School and was involved with computers since the 1980's. This new fuel injection, trucks and cars is right down my alley. Most mechanics my age say "Give me the old carburetor system". I say "Hell no, it's a lot easier to isolate a problem with codes, tests, and etc."
I used to work on the Detroit Diesel's, 2 cycle. They went to electronics before they phased them out of over the road trucks.
Luckily the 6.0L only hydro-locked when cranking. The rod is heavy enough to not bend and the starter doesn't have enough power to bend one I think. It did it on me several times until I could figure out a leaking injector was causing it. I know the concern, but at least with this engine, it did no damage.
Thanks for all the help, Dennis