View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 AM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my F1 installed for a couple weeks now. My thoughts so far -

- Installation was a breeze. It's well designed and once the rails are installed the cover itself is easy to install/remove at any time in a few minutes.

- The fit is very good. I haven't given it much of a test yet, but I'm confident that it is going to be almost completely waterproof.

- It functions well. Overall it's very easy to use and sturdy, the panels are nicely sized and fold up very conveniently. The latching mechanism that holds it fully open against the cab is nice and solid, but I still worry a bit about scuffing the cab.

- I really like the looks of it. I like the flush fit on the bed rails and the fiberglass finish on the F1 is really nice.

As far as negatives, I have a couple -

- The cable release system is a little hokey, it's also hard to use one handed because you have to pull the cable and lift the cover at the same time. You do catch on to it after a while, so not that big a deal.

- Having to make sure you open the cover every time before closing the tailgate is a pain in the butt, but again, it becomes routine. My worry is that someone that just doesn't know any better (how would they?) will just slam the tailgate one day and wreck the cover.

- There's no locking mechanism to secure the panels when they're folded open. They're pretty heavy, but I worry that a good wind could slam them shut or rip the cover off. Bakflip puts a couple D rings on it and suggest using a shock cord or rope to secure it, but they don't even include anything, pretty ridiculous considering what they charge for these things. I plan to come up with some kind of a semi-permanent system using the rings to secure the open cover, because it will spend a lot of time open when I'm towing my 5th wheel.

We'll see how it holds up and works for me going forward, but overall I'm happy with my F1 purchase.