View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks

Right now I am thinking if I get set up to run WVO at this point in the build that it will all be easier. From what I've gathered bio-diesel is just like running station bought diesel, and WVO gives you the option of running diesel of some sorts and WVO, so I could also run bio diesel. I get that the oil will need to be heated prior to reaching the engine, does anyone ever need to heat the oil in the tank in the winter? We often see the negatives around here and I've seen vegetable oil congeal to a soft butter like state in it. Course it was exposed. Would maybe having the tank made with a tubed slot that the exhaust can run though maybe heat things up enough? Or would I risk getting things too hot? Also, from what I've gathered the WVO tank should be aluminum correct?

The 7.3 IDI seems like the way to go from what I've been reading, I'm all for a simple engine that works great, and if I ever need more power throwing a turbo charger on there puts it right up with the Powerstroke.

It is something I will need to learn, I'm not really one to pay several thousand dollars if it's something I can figure out how to make it (after all, I'm building a '56 pickup because I love to make things in the first place).

The WVO route does seem simpler in the long run, and I'm not sure on the legal aspects of making bio-diesel. I'm a professional blacksmith, having a whole bunch of fuel around isn't the safest idea. But vegetable oil isn't a "fuel", and it's flash point is high (I've used it to quench in before, has to get pretty hot before it catches fire and even then it doesn't explode). From what I've come across there is no problem of having a whole bunch of vegetable oil at your house, but I could see it with bio-diesel. Just seems like one less thing to worry about or make.

I'll be honest, I'm in it for the MPG, though in my venture to save money it seems I've made one heck of a "green" truck. It's the purest form of recycling to use what's already been made (as a blacksmith I can tell you the energy required to heat, melt and reform steel is tremendous!) Even the tires are to be Hummer take offs from the military (they replace them at 80% tread or better, they're also about $60 a piece for a 37" tire...), every part I'm swapping into it is recycled from another truck, and now even the majority of the fuel will be recycled. Pretty awesome, though unintentional, lol.

Thanks for the help. Now for more research, lol.