Old 03-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Dean Ledgerwood
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres a little update, cleaned the front most accessible connections, disconnected the battery for a few minutes. The check engine light is off and it is still misfiring at cruising speeds.

I am torn between getting rid of the car or going through with the repair. Within the last 5K miles I had replaced all the COPs (oem) and spark plugs with OEM motorcraft spark plugs. THerefore, I dont think replacing these parts again will be the quick fix, something more sinister seems to be happening.

I am wondering if I should have used an aftermarket Autolite spark plug since I hear the short could be attributed to the stock spark plugs? Thoughts.

I found a ford dealer on ebay selling the newer PCM 5L8Z-12A650-LH for around $700. I know I will need to have ford reprogram the PCM for the keys to work.

Does anyone think investing $700 in a PCM, $20 in new plugs, and new COP's set of 6 aftermarket for 80 or motorcraft 6 for $600. Figuring Fords time would be about $200 and about $225 for me to tow to nearest ford dealer, Id be looking at between 1225 to 1745 in cost for me to do the work.

The big questing is of course using the aftermarket COP? thoughts, when I replaced them previously the seller guaranteed I was getting motorcraft COP, these were bought 6 for $120, I can try to contact them again, but Im a little suspect by their motorcraft claim for so cheap.

Id hate to invest nearly $2K and still be sitting where I am today. Also, I have a little concern that maybe there is a short in the wiring harness, it does not seem easy to find a replacement harness so I try not to think about this.