View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
martin_csr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wptski
Just wondering. In these days, I suppose that it probably isn't legal to allow radiator coolant to flow into a city sewer system??
I'll assume your comment is directed towards my reply.
I collected the coolant & took it to the nearest city waste disposal site (in Houston, the one on S. Post Oak near S.Main).

The reason I did the coolant flush that way was so that I could easily collect most of the old coolant. I connected a piece of 3/8" tubing to the radiator drain **** & routed it towards the front of the car & into a bucket. When disconnecting the radiator hose at the thermostat, I collected the coolant in a large, shallow rubbermaid container. I used a shop vac hose at the radiator nipple to mate the radiator to the water hose. Then I after hooking up the flushing apparatus, I collected the beginning flush water that was coolant colored. We had drought conditions, so I then let the flush water drain onto the lawn. I'm sure some coolant was dumped onto the grass, but not much. If any ended up in the storm sewer, it would have been a minuscule amount. Certainly less than anyone who has a leaking cooling system.

The way I did it sounds kinda complicated, but it was actually quite easy... to do & recycle the coolant.